I think one of the worst things when people give photography business advertising ideas are the tips that are for use sometime down the track… you know… things like putting an ad in a magazine when you’ve got the spare cash, or even worse, the ideas that you’ve tried and KNOW don’t work, like dropping flyers in letter boxes!
You want an advertising strategy that you can use now… TODAY! So you can start building your photography business right away!
We’ll, I’ve got a couple that are very low cost that you can start using right away…
Facebook Advertising for Photographers
Now, the way you use this will vary depending on the type of photography you do. It’s absolutely perfect for wedding photographers, baby and family photographers, as well as senior photographers… but can be adjusted a little to have some pretty amazing results with other types of photographers like real estate, pet, or even fine-art photographers!
Here’s a rundown of the steps you’ll take:
- Create you Facebook advertising account
- Make the destination your Photography business Facebook page
- Choose CPC bidding (Cost Per Click)
- Create an ad that gets the attention of your prospects, and include an eye grabbing image
- Select the city you work in, the age group of your prospects (eg. 21-35 for wedding photography), and gender (eg. women only for wedding photography)
- Click ‘broad categories’ and select ‘family status’… here you have some amazing options…
- Select ‘engaged (1 year)’, and ‘engaged (6 months)’ to target women getting married soon… or ‘expecting parents’ for baby photography… or any of the ‘parents’ options for family photography!
- Next, select to target ‘only people not connected to your page’
- Then ‘optimize for clicks’, and ‘manually set a value for clicks’
- Finally enter your bid. You can lower this gradually as your ad runs and end up paying only around 5 cents per click!
You can see how this strategy will LASER target your exact audience and can get your prospects to click on your page for VERY low click costs!
Check out the video I made below for a little more of a step-by-step walk through of using Facebook advertising for photography
Free Advertising Idea for Photographers!
This is something I’ve covered in some depth previously, but I’ll outline this technique here quickly…
The idea is to basically make local businesses work for you, giving you referrals if you do the same for them. It costs both of you nothing, and you can really get a steady steam of clients by doing this.
You offer to buy lunch or a coffee to local business owners that work with the same clients as you…
So if you’re a wedding photographer, you’d approach bridal gown stores, wedding cake makers, wedding planners, catering companies, florists etc.
You would then tell them that you’ve heard a lot about their business and how good they are, and that you’d love to send them some clients because you want your clients to have the absolute best wedding planner/cake/flowers etc.
Then you’d explain that if they send you clients you’ll offer those clients some bonus or special discount, just tell the client to mention their business to claim the deal. It allows you to track how many clients they send you, as well as allowing you to be able to thank them personally for each new client.
You would only do this with the absolute best businesses however, because every business that you promote will be getting some of the trust that your clients have in you, so if they turn out bad, your client will lose their trust for you.
Here’s a full article I wrote about finding joint venture/referral partners for photographers – it will help you come up with some more idea’s and techniques for using this.
So Start Advertising!
These are both strategies you can use NOW!
So do it!
Create you Facebook advertising account now. Call a few local businesses and ask when they’re free for a coffee… don’t be shy, they never get proposals like this and will love your enthusiasm and initiative!
It won’t do you any good reading about great idea’s like this if you don’t use them. Both of these strategies have been tested and proven to work by hundreds of my clients, and they will work for you if you just try them out!
Leave a comment below with questions about these advertising ideas, or other’s that you’re using with success!